The results for the Distilled San Diego competition are in. During a blind session, judges awarded 133 medals, of which 22 went to San Diego County operators. For the first time, entries were judged on merit and not “Olympic style,” offering opportunities for multiple gold, silver, and bronze awards in each class.
Many of the winners below will be available at the Distilled San Diego Spirit & Cocktail Festival, held Saturday, June 23 at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. There, the Best of Show winner will be announced.
Below is a list of San Diego County’s medal winners. The full results can be viewed here.
- Cutwater Spirits Bali Hai Tiki Gold Rum (Spiced Rum; Best of Class)
- Cutwater Spirits Black Skimmer Bourbon (Bourbon)
- Cutwater Spirits Devil’s Share Bourbon Whiskey (Straight Bourbon 2-5 years; Best of Class; 2017’s Best of Show Winner)
- Cutwater Spirits Spicy Bloody Mary Mix (Non-Alcoholic Mixers)
- San Diego Distillery Peated Cask Strength Whisky (American Whiskey – Single Malt [Peated]; Best of Class)
- Seven Caves Spirits Gin ‘One’ (Regional Terroir Gin; Best of Class)
- Seven Caves Spirits Barrel Aged Rum (Aged Rum; Best of Class, Best of Division)
- The California Spirits Company Pier View Gin (Traditional Gin)
- Cutwater Spirits Devil’s Share Single Malt Whiskey (American Whiskey – Single Malt [Non-Peated])
- Cutwater Spirits Fugu Vodka Mule (Pre-Mixed Cocktails)
- Liberty Call Distilling SD County Aged Rum (Aged Rum)
- Malahat Spirits Bourbon (Straight Bourbon 2-5 years)
- Old Harbor Barrelflag Navy Strength Rum (White Rum – Unflavored)
- Perfect Soul Whiskey (American Whiskey – Multi Grain)
- Copper Collar Distillery Artisan Vodka (Other Vodka – Unflavored)
- Copper Collar Distillery Silver Rum (White Rum – Unflavored)
- Cutwater Spirits Fugu Vodka Spicy Bloody Mary (Pre-Mixed Cocktails)
- Liberty Call Distilling Barrel Rested Gin (Regional Terroir Gin)
- Misadventure & Co. Vodka (Other Vodka – Unflavored)
- Old Harbor Ampersand Cold Pressed Coffee Liqueur (Coffee Liqueur)
- Old Harbor San Miguel Southwestern Gin (Regional Terroir Gin)
- San Diego Distillery Bourbon (Bourbon)
Judges included Michael Cervin (Wine, Food & Travel Writer); Maurice DiMarino (Founder of Maurice DiMarino’s CRU); Traci Dutton (Manager – Public Wine & Beverage Studies at CIA); Tim McDonald (President of Wine Spoken Here); George Skorka (MS – Wine Warrior & Kalinist Sommelier); and Tami Wong (Certified Sommelier, Consultant and Educator). Full disclosure: Tami Wong is a frequent contributor to this magazine.